Last updated: June 2023
Design Quintessence (‘DQ’) recognises the importance of reducing our carbon footprint and minimising our environmental impact. We are committed to conducting our business operations in a sustainable manner that preserves the environment and conserves natural resources. This policy outlines our commitment to sustainability and environmental responsibility, our strategies for achieving these goals, and our expectations of staff in maintaining responsible practices in the company’s day-to-day operations.
Environmental Impact Reduction Strategies
1. Energy Efficiency
We strive to minimise our energy usage and to increase the efficiency of our equipment and machinery. We use a 21kW solar power system in our Sydney factory, which helps us in our attempt to achieve electricity use reduced to net zero across our other three branches in Brisbane, Melbourne and Perth. We will also continue to invest in energy-efficient equipment and machinery where possible to reduce our energy consumption. An example of this was our transition to new cloud-based accounting software, CAD software and data storage in 2022. This move has eliminated the need for temperature-controlled server rooms in all four office locations.
2. Waste Reduction
We are committed to reducing waste generated during our manufacturing and distribution processes. We will work to minimise the use of packaging materials and to reuse and recycle materials wherever possible. Specifically:
- In our offices, we recycle batteries, paper, cardboard, printer toner, plastic and glass waste.
- Water coolers are installed in each office to minimise the purchase of bottled water.
- It is expected that all staff make full use of paperless transactions, including revenue billing, expense billing and electronic internal and external communication.
- Our design service calls for detailed drawings to be created for manufacturing and construction. Adopting the cloud-based OnShape CAD software system allows us to share drawings to the staff on the factory floor, other staff and customers via the cloud. The drawing files are fully interactive and negate the need for drawing printouts.
- In our distribution network, we ensure that all cardboard packaging is recycled, and we offer to take back any cardboard packaging from customers for recycling so that this remains our responsibility.
- In our manufacturing processes, we collect and deliver all scrap aluminium and steel offcuts to a local recycling centre.
- The manufacturing process produces waste materials, such as foam offcuts which are not currently recyclable in Australia. We regularly check to see if a recycling service has become available. We aim to find a foam recycling service as soon as a service becomes available.
- Plywood offcuts are used to produce smaller, functional products with a smaller CNC router ensuring we efficiently use plywood sheets.
3. Sustainable Products and Sourcing
We are committed to promoting and using sustainable products and materials wherever possible. We believe that sustainability and environmental responsibility are essential elements of our business. Specifically:
- Our Sentinel Cable Crossover products are manufactured from PVC-free, 90% recycled material, making it the world’s most environmentally-friendly cable protection product.
- DQ manufactures our Ovation custom road cases in our Sydney factory using certified, sustainably sourced European Birch plywood, a renewable and eco-friendly material.
- The plywood is sustainably sourced; it’s manufactured with natural, bio-based lignin gluing technology rather than fossil-based phenol technology. We are one of the few road case manufacturers in the world that uses sustainably sourced plywood and one of very few that use natural gluing technology. It is an important step towards reducing our carbon footprint and promoting sustainable manufacturing practices.
We will continue to explore opportunities to incorporate sustainable materials and technologies into our products and manufacturing processes. We believe that our commitment to sustainability will benefit the environment and help us to provide our customers with high-quality and eco-friendly products.
We aim to continue pushing towards zero waste to landfill across all our facilities. We will continue to explore waste reduction and recycling throughout our operations and work with our suppliers and customers to promote sustainable practices.
- Use of public transport for travel to and from the place of work where available is encouraged.
- Online meetings are encouraged, reducing unnecessary travel. Using cloud-based CAD software helps us to share designs, show detail and seek design approval in an online forum thoroughly and efficiently.
Education of staff and stakeholders is an important part of ensuring DQ maintains our responsibilities toward environmental sustainability.
- Staff are encouraged to switch off all powered devices in the warehouse and office spaces in all locations.
- Sustainability Co-ordinator role forms part of the operations of DQ.
- The responsibility of this role is to educate employees and stakeholders about our sustainability policies and the importance of environmental responsibility.
- Additionally, the Sustainability Co-ordinator is responsible for seeking better methods and practices for reducing our waste and improving efficiencies.
We are committed to continuous improvement in our sustainability practices and to monitoring our progress towards our sustainability goals. We will regularly review our sustainability policies and procedures and seek feedback from our stakeholders to identify areas for improvement.
In conclusion, as a company, DQ is committed to reducing our carbon footprint and minimising our environmental impact. We recognise that sustainability is an ongoing process and are dedicated to continually improving our sustainability practices and policies. We will work to promote sustainable practices throughout our organisation and among our stakeholders and to be a leader in the transition towards a more sustainable future.